Things To Know About Roof Gardens
- Saturday, 25 August 2018 14:20
Rooftop gardens are becoming increasingly popular these days – the flat roofs on modern buildings have lots of space that can be easily transformed into an attractive, environment-friendly green space that is a pleasure to spend time in. Here are a few things that you should know about roof gardens before you start designing your own green area on the top of your home:
- Don’t forget that you will need water – before you start thinking about the plants to use up there, think about how you are going to get water to the rooftop. You can use barrels, but they are uncomfortable to use, you can run a hose to your plants or you can use drip irrigation;
- Storage for your tools – gardening is an activity that requires you to use lots of different tools, so try to figure out a solution for storing your tool on the roof;
- Sun exposure – the plants in your roof garden will be exposed to harsh sunshine all summer long, so make sure you pick varieties that can live up to the challenge;
- Heat and wind are also stronger up there – you may need some kind of fencing to protect your plants against strong winds and you will also need to come up with some sort of shading solution to keep your plants alive.
As you think about a rooftop garden, check with http://hankinshomescapes.com/
to see what other options there may be to protect your investments.