Great Tips for Getting Your House Ready for Winter
- Tuesday, 09 January 2018 16:57
Freezing temperatures can be hard on your home, on your yard and your garden, therefore precaution measures to winterize your home are extremely important for your comfort and your safety – here are a few of the most important things to do to prepare your home for winter:
- Seal leaks – the gaps that form around doors and windows are a major cause of energy loss, so make sure you check the problem areas and seal all the leaks.
- Remove water from hoses, faucets and sprinklers – when water turns into ice, it expands considerably and the process can damage or even completely destroy your hoses, sprinklers and faucets. Make sure you remove all the water from the fixtures that are not in use during the winter to prevent damage.
- Check your heating system and make fixes if necessary – make sure your heating system is perfectly functional before the cold weather sets in. Get a plumber to check all the components, including the furnace, the heaters and the pump.
- Prepare the gutters and the roof – your roof and your gutters need to be clean and clutter-free to be able to hold up the weight of the snow and to drain the water from the melting snow in spring, so check and prepare them, too. It’s also a great time to have a Lansing windows company out to repair or replace any older windows with new double pained windows for added insulation.